Jetzt bestellen!

Sonntag, 14 August 2016 11:56

After all, about every third German spaniel seems to be healthy

geschrieben von
The German Spaniel Association (Verein für Deutsche Wachtelhunde) is currently going through a rough patch: for many years, the association’s board members had been concealing a study on skeletal diseases of German spaniels, which revealed alarming results. According to this study, a considerable number of German spaniels suffered from skeletal diseases, in particular from cubital joint dysplasia. On closer inspection, one discovered that also and in fact specifically the breeding stations of board members were affected by this problem. Thus far, nothing has been known about a breeding ban as a result of this study.

And as if this wasn’t enough, the association conducted an extensive health survey in 2014, which focussed on the years 2001 to 2009. One goal of the survey was to gain control of the epilepsy problem of the German spaniel breed. More than 5.000 questionnaires were sent to owners of German spaniels, and almost 2.500 of them were completed and returned to the sender. About 2.000 answers were included in the survey.
The final report says: “37 % of all dogs have no problems or diseases at all. The remaining 63 % of the dogs, however, have problems and were diagnosed with different diseases.” The most frequently mentioned health issues included problems with the ears and claws, skin alterations and allergies, followed by problems with the eyes. One third of the German spaniel owners complain of diseases, in particular cancer.
Those problems and diseases that permanently limit their hunting performance affect 5.6 % of the dogs. Every fifth German spaniel failed at least temporarily during the hunt. 15 % of the dog owners state that their dogs regularly save their legs, in particular the right foreleg. Almost 3 % of the canine handlers reported that their dogs suffer or suffered from epilepsy. Adding the number of dogs that have unspecific seizures, 4 % of the German spaniels are affected by epilepsy or epileptic-like seizures. Dr. Helga Adolph and Mr. Winfried Schlecht, who formulated the final report, come to a surprisingly lenient conclusion: “The health survey results provide the German Spaniel Association with additional information on how to optimise the breeding.”
Although the 44-page final report was published on the Internet, the breeders have been waiting for detailed information on the involved persons and dogs to the present day. Moreover, there have been no breeding bans at all in connection with the report. This is why the criticism of the association’s breed warden, Mr. Martin Hauser, is constantly on the increase.  Übersetzung: Tim Scheulen
Artikel bewerten
(37 Stimmen)
Tobias Paulsen

Tobias Paulsen hat den Beruf des Redakteurs ab den 70er Jahren in Frankfurt von der Pike auf gelernt. Journalistisch wirkte er zunächst im Lokalen und wechselte später an die Frankfurter Gerichte. Als er in den 90er Jahren Interesse für Wald und Wild entwickelte, war die Ausbildung zum ersten Jagdschein fast schon ein Muss. Anschließend arbeitete er einige Jahre für mehrere Jagdzeitungen und spezialisierte sich dann noch einmal auf den Bereich Jagdhund. Selbst führte er Teckel, einen Kleinen Münsterländer und aktuell einen Deutsch-Drahthaar. Hund & Jagd gründete er 2004.

Bitte anmelden, um einen Kommentar zu posten
Cron Job starten